This blog is dedicated to generating exposure for academic legal issues present in eSports and video gaming. Some have not yet been discussed in the courts or covered academically. Examples are contract drafting, issues of proprietary rights in summoner names and avatars; daily and yearly fantasy eSports compliance with United States gambling law, collective bargaining along with a host of others.
The unique position of game developers as intellectual property owners puts them in a position to regulate how and in what manner their game will be played. Unlike any other professional sports league model, developers, as IP owners, have the legal capability to insert themselves into management of any league using their IP. Consequently, as eSports, and the legal issues that go hand in hand with them, continue to grow there will be three relevant parties involved in all conflicts as opposed to the traditional two. How the legal landscape will be filled out is yet to be seen.
- Harris has helped negotiate over thirty contracts for professional League of Legends, Counter Strike, Call of Duty and Super Smash Bros. players.
- Harris has helped wronged players recover damages for FLSA and IRS misclassification, overtime and minimum wage penalties, and other general business torts. He has also advised top teams on P1, B1, ESTA and D3 immigration waivers, and drafted policies/ takedowns to ensure compliance with Trademark, Copyright, the CFAA, ECPA and the DMCA.
- Harris worked as Associate General Counsel and Chief of Operations at H2K Gaming a premier eSports organization. There he worked with game developers to increase team rights and develop a standard and unique team contract.
- Harris worked in the corporate and intellectual property department at the law firm of Meltzer Lippe Goldstein and Breitstone.
- Harris graduated close to the top of his class at he Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in Manhattan, NY.
- Harris helps startup eSports organizations begin their businesses. In doing so he has drafted contracts, incorporated companies, and negotiated sponsorship deals.
- Harris has been a gamer his whole life dedicating much of it to popular franchises such as World of Warcraft, League of Legends and Star Wars: The Old Republic
- In every game, Harris has consistently competed at a high level leading teams and guilds to new heights.
- In World of Warcraft Harris assisted in the development of a top 50 U.S guild.
- In Star Wars, Harris was the 7th level 50 world wide at release and led a top 10 U.S guild.